Resources. . .
Let's face it, if we really are the 6-Day Church, then when you need something, most of the time it won't be on a Sunday! This section is our effort to provide you with the tools you may need be effective living out the Kingdom life wherever God has planted you.
. . .For Everyone
Bible Reading Resources
- Click HERE for the guidelines to study the Bible individually and in a group.
- YouVersion - 40+ Reading Plans in dozens of languages and Bible versions
- Read the entire Bible In ONE Year
- Read the New Testament In 30 Days
- Bible Research Tools
Socially Conscious Giving
Philanthropy is becoming more and more the norm for Americans, and recent studies show that "no other country comes close" to the levels of private charitable giving, which crossed the $400 Billion mark for the first time in 2017. Combining American holiday consumerism with a passion for international giving is the latest in philanthropic fashion. This trend has grown to the point where most companies and products have some sort of giving component. There are lots of options if you are looking for a meaningful gift for someone; enjoy the celebrations and the holidays and give to those in need.
Their mission is simple: Buy a pair of shoes from their store, and they will donate a pair of matching shoes to a child in need. Founder Blake Mycoskie spent time in South America and saw the field workers wearing alpargatos, a durable, traditional slip-on shoe. He came back to the States inspired and founded TOMS, bringing the shoes to American fashion and more shoes to those in need worldwide. Shop HERE.
iGive works on a simple premise: Shop online through its website at any of its 650 affiliated stores (Barnes&Noble, eBay, Apple, etc.) and those stores will donate a portion of the sale to the charity of your choice. Through this massive site, you can do all of your normal shopping, but part of the money goes to charity. Shop HERE.
Grounds for Change
A fair-trade coffee company based out of the Pacific Northwest that sells coffee from all over the Globe. In addition to supporting fair-trade farmers the world over, Grounds for Change donates a portion of the profits to children's environmental education programs and only uses renewable 'green' energy. They are also a member of Co-Op America, an organization of socially responsible businesses. Shop HERE.
If you and your gift receiver are ok without actual gifts changing hands at Christmas, then check out the gift catalog at these organizations. You can honor that special someone with the gift of a goat. Although it might not seem useful to your friend, it can provide milk and dairy products for a whole family in Kenya. You can donate items such as fishing kits, freshwater wells, and wheelchairs to families in impoverished nations across the planet.
*List inspired and edited from Danny Miller, an editorial intern at RELEVANT Magazine.
XXXchurch.com has a great free program for internet accountability as well as a free app that provides accountability while surfing the web on your phone. The application records the questionable material on a site along with the date and time it was visited and sends the information to your designated accountability partners. If you're looking for a tool to help filter questionable material and safeguard your surfing, look HERE.
Evangelical Environmental Network (EEN)
The EEN is a non-profit organization that seeks to educate, inspire, and mobilize Christians in their effort to care for God's creation, to be faithful stewards of God's provision, and to advocate for actions and policies that honor God and protect the environment. EEN's work is grounded in the Bible's teaching on the responsibility of God's people to 'tend the garden' and publishes materials to equip and inspire individuals, families, and churches, seeking to educate and mobilize people to make a difference in their churches and communities, and to speak out on national and international policies that affect our ability to preach the Gospel, protect life, and care for God's creation. Look Here.
Marriage Resources: A Weekend to Remember
The intricacies of life can complicate any marriage and create tension. It's easy to feel confused or angry, frustrated or alone. A Weekend to Remember will restore your vision of what it looks like to pursue a marriage that works. Look HERE.
. . .For Your Family
- HomeFront Magazine - a monthly resource that gives parents ideas on how to create fun, spiritually forming times in their home--even inthe midst of their busy lives. This digital magazine can be sent right to your inbox each month, making it easy for parents and grandparents to shape a vibrant faith in the lives of their children
- Spiritual Parenting - a program that many in the Beacon family have gone through, offered once a year to those interested.
There are just some books that rock your world. It is our desire to let you know about books that will be relevant in a particular sermon series or other books that will always be life-changers. Feel free to let us know what you think about them.
Here are some books that will always be life-changers:
- The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard
- The New Reformation by David Ogden
- The Call by Os Guinness
- The Soul of Ministry by Ray Anderson
- 7 Effective Ministry Practices by Andy Stanley
- Kingdom Ethics by Stassen & Gushee
- The Sacred Way by Tony Jones
- The Spirit of the Disciplines by Dallas Willard
- The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henry Nowen
- Mudhouse Sabbath by Lauren Winter
- A Passion For Souls - D.L. Moody by Paul Dorsett
- The Master Jesus by John Pollock
- The Apostle Paul by John Pollock
- Wild At Heart by John Edlridge